AITC Teacher of the Year
The annual Excellence of Agriculture Education Award recognizes a Louisiana teacher for his/her achievements and efforts in teaching students the importance of agriculture.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, simply print and complete the application form.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Teachers integrating agriculture concepts into non-agricultural curricula and certified teachers currently engaged in classroom instruction at the Pre-K through 12th grade levels. Past winners are eligible to apply ten years following their award.
WHAT WILL THE WINNER RECEIVE?
- Trip to the National Agriculture in the Classroom Conference, June 26-29 in Portland, Maine (Valued at up to $1,500)
- $500 Cash Award
WHAT TO INCLUDE WITH THE APPLICATION?
- Application Form
- Educator Narrative (four-page limit): Share your method of integrating and instructing one or more of the following national agricultural literacy themes in your classroom throughout the school year and curricular areas. How did you use the theme (or themes) to increase agricultural literacy? Do not use any identifying information (name, parish, school) in your narrative. Please note on the first line of your narrative which theme(s) you are addressing:
- Agriculture and the Environment
- Plants and Animals for Food, Fiber and Energy
- Food, Health and Lifestyle
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
- Culture, Society, Economy and Geography
- For additional information on the national agricultural literacy themes visit: http://agclassroom.org/get/doc/NALObooklet.pdf
- Exemplary lesson plan (four-page limit): Submit one lesson plan which illustrates your agricultural literacy teaching method as described in the narrative. Do not use any identifying information (name, parish, school) in your lesson plan. Please include the following content according to the order below, in your lesson plan:
- Title of the Lesson
- Brief purpose of the lesson
- Grade level(s) addressed
- Time length of lesson
- Objective of the lesson
- Standards addressed (limit the standards list to no more than one-half page)
- Materials List
- Vocabulary or key words
- Instructor procedure
- Additional resource which enhance the lesson
- Assessment (list five essential questions that students should understand and be able to answer after having been taught the lesson)
- Documentation and photos (two-page limit): Applicants are encouraged to share photos and other documentation of instruction on agricultural literacy. Put as many photos on one page as you wish; use high-resolution photos, and add a brief caption at the bottom of each photo to describe the activity. Save this file as a PDF.
- A completed nomination outline.
- Program description statements.
- Written permission to use submitted materials at future AITC functions, on the website, or other appropriate public forums.
- Any additional supporting information deemed essential to clarifying a nomination may be included in an appendix. The appendix should not be used, however, to provide additional program descriptions. The appendix is only for supporting information such as pictures or student-generated projects.
HOW CAN APPLICATIONS BE SUBMITTED?
Applications must be submitted by electronic mail to email@example.com. Please be sure to put “Teacher Application” in the subject line. Applications must be received by 11:59 pm on March 1, 2018. A confirmation email will be sent within 24 hours of your submission. The winner will be announced by April 1, 2018